You’ll be amazed at the number of social events on offer – starting from the very first day you arrive at St Mary’s. Whether it’s an organised event such as the Boat Cruise, or a spontaneous outing to the pub, there’s never a dull moment when you’re living in such a vibrant and friendly community. Some of the highlights include:
- O-Week (Orientation Week) – Fasten your seatbelts for a jam-packed week of fun and festivities. It’s the perfect way to overcome your nerves, settle into your new home and meet your new College family. You won’t believe the number of friendships that can be made within a week.
- St Mary’s Ball – Let your hair down at the annual College Ball, held at a nearby function centre. Your ticket includes a delicious 3-course meal, drinks and entertainment. It’s a night to remember!
- The Event – One of the most exciting nights of first semester! The Event is a formal evening that is organized by the Student Club, and held at a mystery location. The venue is kept a secret until an announcement at dinner on the evening of The Event. Past locations have included the Melbourne Aquarium, Luna Park and the Old Melbourne Gaol.
- College ‘Turns’ – Another name for a disco or party! There are several themed ‘turns’ held in the Junior Common Room (JCR) each semester, usually following one of the celebratory formal dinners.
- Floor Dinners – A more intimate opportunity to get to know other residents living on your floor. Your Floor Mentor will organize a dinner at the start of each semester.
Day-to-day life at College also provides many opportunities for social interaction. Enjoy a game of pool in the JCR, spend a sunny afternoon in the courtyard chatting with friends, or take a 5-minute stroll to nearby Lygon Street for authentic Italian gelati. Plus, with the many opportunities to join sporting teams, cultural groups and study tutorials, you’ll quickly know everyone at College.
You’ll automatically become a member of the St Mary’s College Student Club, but if you’re keen for more responsibility, many opportunities are available across a range of Committees and Sub-Committees. Even as a ‘fresher’ (first year student), you could volunteer for Fresher Cultural Rep or Fresher Sports Rep.