You simply can’t beat the location of St Mary’s College at 871 Swanston St. To begin with, it’s the closest College to the Melbourne University campus. You’ll quickly come to appreciate this – for example, when you’re popping back to College for lunch in between lectures, or carrying heavy textbooks back and forth to University tutorials. Or getting up for a lecture with only 5 minutes to spare!
Also, St Mary’s borders the inner city suburbs of Carlton and Parkville, which means that residents are surrounded by a perfect mix of green, sprawling parklands, and inner-city multicultural life. Nearby, you’ll find the following attractions and amenities:
- The closest tram stop is a 5-minute walk from College at the main Melbourne Uni stop on Swanston St, providing easy access to RMIT and ACU.
- The CBD is a short 10-15 minute tram ride away – or on a nice day, it’s a 25-minute walk. Whether you have a part-time job in the city, or enjoy watching the footy at the MCG, it’s all well within your reach. It’s also handy if you’re heading home for the weekend, and need to catch the train from Southern Cross station.
- Princes Park is an easy 8-minute walk from St Mary’s, and Royal Park is slightly further. With plenty of tracks for cycling, jogging or walking, and wide-open spaces to kick the footy, you’ll return to College feeling healthy and refreshed.
- Cosmopolitan Lygon Street is a 5-minute walk at most, and here you’ll find Melbourne’s most authentic Italian gelati and finest coffee. There’s a wide range of shops, restaurants and cultural venues, including the Nova Cinema, Readings Bookstore, and La Mama theatre. As well as providing a place for socialising and relaxing, the proximity of Lygon Street offers many potential part-time job opportunities for students.
- Eclectic Fitzroy is within walking distance, or a short bus ride away, with its mix of cafes, bars, and shops on Brunswick St and Smith St.
- For interstate or international residents, the airport is only a 20-minute taxi ride (outside peak hour).
- Our official address is 871 Swanston St, Parkville, 3052.